Verdant Works is at the heart of one of the earliest urban industrial areas in Scotland. Mills grew up here from the 1790s because of the availability of a water supply- the Scouring burn- to run the steam engines that powered the machinery. The ‘green’ name of ‘Verdant’ for a textile works in an industrial area dates back to when Verdant was built. At that time most of the surrounding area was still green fields and nursery grounds.
The High Mill of Verdant Works was built in 1833 for David Lindsay, merchant and flaxspinner. Over the following thirty years further buildings such as warehouses, batching areas and offices were added until the site looked as it does today. Like many Dundee flax mills in the 1840s and 1850s Verdant Works witched to processing jute. By 1864 Verdant is recorded as possessing three steam engines driving 70 power looms and 2,800 spindles. A workforce of 500 was employed to prepare and spin jute in the mill and to weave in a separate factory across the road in Milne Street.